Welcome Geocachers!

I decided to start this blog to help new geocachers with some of the confusing aspects of geocaching and the website, geocaching.com.

Friday, September 10, 2010

What to Bring While Geocaching

Alright, we know what geocaching is all about...check, we have some caches in mind that we are interesting in locating...check, we have the cache information either written down or saved to our GPS...check. Let's go!! 
WAIT! Besides your GPS, what should you take with you? The answer will vary depending on who you talk to. I'll go over what I carry in my geocaching backpack but of course, you may need to carry different items based on your area and how far you plan to hike. I usually search for caches that are relatively easy to hike to so I don't need a lot of survival gear but I try to follow the motto: "Be prepared."


In my geocaching pack, I have:

  • Two pens and a pad of paper. Many caches do not have a writing tool included and if they do, the pens sometimes don't work. I never have to worry about that because I always bring my own. One is a fine tip Sharpie which is nice for those damp logs. I use the paper to list the caches I find so I don't have to TRY to remember them all. This is especially helpful when finding several in a day. I usually jot down the cache number ie: GC292WG. It makes it easy to log my finds that way.
  • A large trash bag, a small kitchen trash bag and a few grocery and zip-lock bags. Besides the obvious use of removing trash you may find (cache in, trash out or CITO) I have used these bags to cover my muddy feet when I get back to the car. If necessary I could convert the large bag into a rain poncho. If my clothes get really muddy, I could use the bags to hold them while I drive home. 
  • My "SWAG bag" of stuff I can trade if I find anything interesting in a cache. My youngest son donates toys he doesn't want anymore.
  • A small first aid kit. I have fallen or gotten scraped many times. It's handy to have some antiseptic wipes and bandages if needed.
  • I have a standard compass that I use often. Even with the technology at hand, when you are standing on the middle of the woods, it is nice to be able to find out which way north is at a glance. Plus, if anything happened to my GPS, I have the compass to help me get out.
  • Bug spray.
  • Extra batteries for my GPS.
  • Rubber cement for spot repairs. Water is the enemy of caches.
  • A clean old sock. Why? I don't know but I'm sure I'll be glad if/when I need it.
  • Extra blank log sheets. Sometimes you'll find a cache and the log is full. Instead of complaining about it I add a new sheet.
  • Pre-made micro caches. If I come across a place that could use a cache, I have one with me. No need to make return visits, I can place the container, take the coordinate readings and submit for a new cache.
  • A small stapler.
  • A small measuring tape. Very handy when scouting areas for hiding new caches.
  • A headlamp. It's nice to go hands free in dark areas or at night.
  • A folding knife.
  • I got a good idea from a local fellow cacher (JesterJack) to get a telescoping small mirror. This is handy when looking in blind spots. It sure is sketchy reaching blindly into or around some places in search of the cache. I think you can find these at auto parts stores. I saw one recently, but the mirror was bigger than I wanted.

Of course, if you plan to take an extensive hike, you may want to bring water, food, warm clothing, a fire starting kit etc. Common sense stuff really.
Now let's go find some caches.

No comments:

Post a Comment